Upcoming Events

The new show scheduler is now implemented. Be sure to click on the Show Schedule tab above to check out our list of special programming!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

EDIT: NOT THE End of An Era

UPDATES: See updates below....

For about eight years I have been hosting the Goodtime Country Radio Show on HomeGrownRadioNJ.com, and for three or four years before that the show was on over-the-air WNTI out of Hackettstown, N.J. It is with a lot of sadness that I must report the Goodtime Country Radio Show will be leaving the air after the show on October 31.

HomeGrownRadioNJ is growing and reaching out, and part of that growth is moving from the quaint studio in Marksboro, N.J. (a mere nine miles from my house on local roads) to Boonton, N.J. Boonton is about 35 miles away and requires a drive on I-80 to get there -- a not pleasant prospect during the morning rush hour. Given the distance, the added costs in gas and the strain it will put on my real job to be out an extra hour each day I do a show, the time has come to wish HGRNJ the best, and to part ways. Good luck to founder Todd Mills and the rest of the gang as they enter a new chapter.

UPDATE: The outpouring of support for the show has been overwhelming. I have proposed to HGRNJ to keep it on the air as a twice-a-month show, probably on a different day. Stay tuned.

UPDATE #2: We will be moving with HGRNJ to the new studio, with a few changes. First, we're moving to Thursday afternoon, 1:00-4:00 p.m. ET. Second, we'll be scheduled for the 1st, 3rd and 4th Thursdays only; Jeff Saltzman will be "Sittin' In" with his show on the 2nd and 5th (when there is one) Thursdays, and filling in when required. Thanks for your support!

Meanwhile, the Goodtime Country Radio Show inspired me to start Goodtime Country Radio, a Live365 station broadcasting over the internet. GCR has been little more than a jukebox of my favorite songs broadcasting to the world, but now I'm putting some serious effort into making it a more real station. Over the past week I've added a scheduler, scheduled themed shows and more. If you like the music mix I had on the Goodtime Country Radio Show, then you'll probably enjoy Goodtime Country Radio.

So far on Goodtime Country Radio I've added shows that showcase recent Americana artists, Red Dirt artists, a show devoted exclusively to members of the Country Music Hall of Fame, gospel songs for Sunday and a classic country show for Saturday night. Still to come will be a weekly hour of train songs, sets of tunes from the Highwaymen (Willie, Waylon, Cash and Kris) every few hours, and live tracks every few hours. Of course, almost every hour leads off with a Johnny Cash song. Somewhere down the road I may do a live show just like I did for HGRNJ a couple of times a week on GCR.

I hope you tune in to the improved Goodtime Country Radio. You can use the link in the player at the above right. And you can check out the last ten songs that have played on the station by clicking on the tab in the menu bar at the top of the page. As always, your input is welcomed!

No comments:

Post a Comment